Though we love technology, we admit we were a little late in coming around to Strava. Chalk it up to seeing far too many people trying for personal bests on the Keystone Trail, I guess.
But we're fully aboard now, and we've been racking up those KOMs podium midpack places for a little while now. In fact, it's so inspired us that we've decided to run a contest for the next couple of weeks. Welcome to the GamJams Midwest Strava Challenge.
Here's how it works: Starting today and running through August 15, we'll give away a FREE entry (2 each, men and women) into the Papillion Twilight Criterium on August 18 if you claim select Strava KOMs — including a couple owned by Kent McNeill of Midwest Cycling Community, who happens to be a sponsor of the Papillion Twilight Criterium.
Simply ride these segments, and if you claim the KOM, send us a note. We'll verify that it was legit (ie, not driving up the climb with your Garmin turned on) and you'll race for free in August. Please note that if your time seems a little unrealistic, we may ask you to ... well ... prove it. And that means we'll meet up for a ride and you'll attempt to drop us up that same climb. We're not saying we're super fast or anything, but if you can't get away from us, you probably can't take Kent's KOM. Because Kent's KOMs are ridiculous.
Ladies, since you're not going to take Kent's KOM (we have doubts about the guys, too), you're going to be aiming for an overall placing on some segments rather than the QOM. Since some segments don't have a QOM yet, we don't want to give away win free entries by default. So look for a specific requirement on each segment.
- Calhoun Road. Owned by Kent McNeill, Midwest Cycling Community. Women's requirement: take the QOM
- Hummel Park Climb Southbound. Owned by Kent McNeill, Midwest Cycling Community.Women's requirement: 3:30 or better (and you'd be the QOM)
- North O Airport Climb. Owned by Jonathan Neve, Greenstreet Velo. Women's requirement: 7:30 or better (and you'd be the QOM)
- Skyline Climb. Owned by Vaughn Pierce, The Bike Way Racing. Women's requirement: 2:30 or better (and you'd be the QOM)
- The High Road. Owned by Kent McNeill, Midwest Cycling Community. Women's requirement: take the QOM
- Surfside Climb. Owned by Lucas Marshall, Midwest Cycilng Community. Women's requirement: 5:30 or better (and you'd be the QOM)
- Shipley Climb. Owned by Ted Lechnowsky. Women's requirement: take the QOM
- HWY 275-Glenwood Climb. Owned by Paul Webb, Midwest Cycling Community. Women's requirement: take the QOM
- Deer Creek Climb. Owned by Jason Schuster. Women's requirement: 5:30 or better (and you'd be the QOM, since there isn't one yet)
- 108th Hill. Owned by Rafal Doloto, Midwest Cycling Community. Women's requirement: take the QOM.
So there you go — 10 chances to win. Again, you have until August 15 to give it a crack. If you set a KOM after that, you'll get nothing but a high five. But before then? Free racing.
Good luck! (And email us with questions.)